Winter Camp XLI - 2017
The planning meeting will be in the fall. The location is the ancestral home of the Donohue's:
Linoln Park, MI 48146
The meeting is open to anyone who has a good idea and especially anyone going to camp. You can also pay at this event.
Role/Task Youth Adviser Leader: Matthew Grimble Keith King Activities/Program: Vacant Vacant Kitchen: Vacant Steve Donohue Newsletter: Vacant Vacant Scout's Own: Vacant Vacant Participation Award: Vacant Vacant
Feel free to post your thoughts and comments on planning for Winter Camp XLI!
Check out what everyone else is saying:
E-mail addresses and names are not guaranteed to be who they say they are.
That being said, we should tell you that the webmaster can tell who said what.
- On Sunday, 24-Sep-2017 19:22:39 EDT, Steve said
- It looks like there are quite a few places that would be willing to sell us an escape room kit.
- On Tuesday, 19-Sep-2017 11:20:57 EDT, K2 said
- Not sure about logistics, but escape rooms seem to be one of the new things to do. Maybe we could have an "escape cabin" activity?
- On Thursday, 14-Sep-2017 09:33:22 EDT, K2 said
- I attempted grits again today (yes, instant, not a self respecting southerner, etc etc) and they came out edible, so big win for me. Last couple times they were severely under cooked and then severely over cooked due to a lack of water. This time was better. Not quite the "smooth and creamy" as advertised on the container, so I still have some room for improvement.
- On Friday, 08-Sep-2017 08:21:26 EDT, Ethan Rein said
- Good idea about the standard / better food split based on passwords!
- On Thursday, 07-Sep-2017 12:28:41 EDT, K2 said
- What about voice controlled condiment dispensers... "Alexa, more ketchup please!"
- On Thursday, 07-Sep-2017 12:15:56 EDT, Steve said
- What if it was billed as the "In the Know" dinner and you got better food by knowing the password?
- On Wednesday, 06-Sep-2017 20:07:30 EDT, Ethan Rein said
- I'm thinking about a password dinner, which would take place mid weekette. The idea would be that each item on the menu has a different password, which once must have in order to be served it. The passwords would be sprinkled in the events throughout the days before the event. We could also have a password for seconds. A less ambitious version would have one password to unlock all the food.
- On Sunday, 03-Sep-2017 09:40:14 EDT, K2 said
- Lots to work with on Monty Python!
Could have a knight guarding the beaver creek bridge behind clearwater.
- On Sunday, 03-Sep-2017 08:46:39 EDT, Steve said
- Had this crazy thought about converting every sorry is sacred to a song about getting brotherhood. Every sash is sacred the lodge needs every one. If a sash goes barbless you're missing half the fun
- On Friday, 01-Sep-2017 21:25:23 EDT, Steve said
- I asked Matt; apparently he thinks Monty Python would be a good theme.
There are definitely some bits in there we could steal. Ministry of Silly Walks, most of the Holy Grail, and maybe some other bits like "not being seen".
- On Friday, 01-Sep-2017 07:40:22 EDT, K2 said
- Game idea...
Along the same lines as genius night, we split into 2-4 teams, each team gets identical materials to build a structure.
Each team also has to build a device to destroy the other teams structures from across the room, predefined distance, something like that. I'm thinking catapult type things but whatever.
Possible winning options, last team standing, team with the most pieces still upright, something like that.
- On Thursday, 31-Aug-2017 12:39:01 EDT, K2 said
- So building on the ideas from Steve and Ethan, what if we made that the theme: Secret Agent
Could take the "genius night" activity and turn it into "build a secret agent device"
- On Thursday, 31-Aug-2017 12:34:55 EDT, K2 said
- I told Jack to have the people he has lined up handle painting. I _think_ it's happening on Friday, September 15th but don't quote me on that, pure speculation on my part. I believe two companies are sending volunteers to the camp to work in a couple areas. I'm going to try and make it to camp that day to help if I can get the day off of work. I realize this is a weekday and relatively short notice so no worries if you can't make it, I'm sure there will be more opportunities for doing service at camp in the future!
Regarding a day to meet up at camp to do an equipment check, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has days that work better for them.
- On Monday, 28-Aug-2017 19:56:34 EDT, Steve said
- I can only make it on weekends.
- On Sunday, 27-Aug-2017 18:39:14 EDT, K2 said
- We could do that. This time I promise not to go to any estate sales or garage sales and buy a new freezer. (It was a wicked good deal though.)
I don't know if anyone else happens to be off this Friday but I might be able to make a trip up Friday, Sept 1 or Saturday Sept 2. I have other commitments Sunday and Monday (I would imagine others would as well).
I'll check with Jack regarding Beaver Creek (and Clearwater). They had paint set out for both of them but nobody was there. I'm guessing they didn't have enough people for those projects.
- On Saturday, 26-Aug-2017 21:56:32 EDT, Steve said
- It turns out there were two more Winter Campers nominated for the Vigil this year: Matt Grimble and Chris Kirschke.
- On Saturday, 26-Aug-2017 20:29:19 EDT, Steve said
- We were in Walmart today and they had a set of 3 stainless steel stockpots in 16, 12, and 8 quart sizes. The three pans nested and for $15 I thought it was a good deal for camp.
Should we have an equipment check day at D-A again?
I was sure that big pots would be useful and at that price it was a giveaway but there are probably other things we should consider replacing or adding to our equipment list. Going soon would give us a few months to replace things and let us bring them home to pitch/recycle/donate while our cars had space. Might also give us a chance to see what's happening at Beaver Creek.
I seem to remember Keith saying that the Ordeal didn't have enough people to paint the cabin. Maybe we could plan a service day. Keith -- could you ask Jack if there's something we could do to help with BC?
- On Friday, 25-Aug-2017 15:47:27 EDT, K2 said
- You know what we really need... a dumbwaiter between upstairs and downstairs. Complete with hooks for gallons of milk.
- On Sunday, 20-Aug-2017 10:21:53 EDT, K2 said
- Awesome news about the Vigil!
I was in charge of the rock crew this weekend (clan 8) and they did an amazing job building a new rock garden along the banks of Trout Lake right next to the bridge. Check it out next time you're in camp!
- On Saturday, 19-Aug-2017 21:13:36 EDT, Steve said
- Several Winter Campers were tapped out for the Vigil this weekend: Brian Magharan, Nick Weathers, and Steven Lardin
- On Saturday, 05-Aug-2017 04:43:23 EDT, Steve said
- What changes? I think you sent Kristie pictures but she didn't share them with me other than the one with the fence and gate being gone from the road.
- On Wednesday, 02-Aug-2017 20:49:21 EDT, K2 said
- Due to some changes made to the exterior of Beaver Creek cabin, this year will be the beginning of a new tradition.
- On Wednesday, 02-Aug-2017 20:48:05 EDT, K2 said
- I think Wintercamp has a long unofficial perpetual hobby of collecting golf clubs... so why stop now :)
- On Wednesday, 02-Aug-2017 14:14:06 EDT, Ethan Rein said
- I got a line on a set of (free, used) left handed golf clubs. Do we need more for the lefties?
- On Wednesday, 02-Aug-2017 14:12:58 EDT, Ethan Rein said
- I'm collecting books for us to use for a possible "make a secret box out of a book" activity. I had some last year, but forgot to bring this idea up at the planning meeting.
- On Tuesday, 01-Aug-2017 12:40:14 EDT, Steve said
- So we've got about 5.5 months until Winter Camp. What project if any are you planning to undertake to make Winter Camp better this year? It could be better for camp, a few people, or for just you.
- On Monday, 31-Jul-2017 12:21:10 EDT, K2 said
- Sounds like an improvement over the peanut butter meatloaf :)
- On Sunday, 30-Jul-2017 21:44:39 EDT, Steve said
- Just saw a recipe for mozzarella-stuffed meatloaf. It seemed like a good idea.
- On Friday, 28-Jul-2017 20:31:59 EDT, Steve said
- I know I suggested this before since Kristie makes me watch The Big Bang Theory all the time:
Secret Agent Laser Obstacle Lunch.
There is an obstacle course of lasers between you and lunch. You reveal them with a spray can and have to get there without breaking a beam.
Low tech method would involve a string maze you have to navigate, probably inside the building so you can easily crawl where needed.
- On Sunday, 09-Jul-2017 21:29:10 EDT, Steve said
- The El Medio Dia party was a success. There were good friends, good food, and good times shared by all. 4 out of 6 of the guys who attended Winter Camp I were there and I think our total attendance was close to 30 including families.
We did come up with one new event -- apparently we've never actually played badminton at Winter Camp.
Many thsnks to the Wilsons for hosting the event.
- On Thursday, 15-Jun-2017 21:25:45 EDT, Doug said
- El Mediodia party at the Wilson's on Saturday, July 8th, 2PM till ???. The festivities will be at 9515 Woodbend Dr., Saline 48176 (about 6 miles south of I-94 and 3.5 miles west of US-23).
Join us to celebrate Winter Camp 41 being closer than WC 40 with an afternoon/evening of food, fellowship and fun. Great opportunity for your family to meet some of those wacky winter camper they have heard countless stories about for years. All Winter campers and their families past and present welcome.
Bring a dish to pass and lawn chairs. We will be provide pulled pork and soft drinks and can throw some burgers on the grill, for those heretics in the group.
We have lake access (a short walk away) available for swimming/kayaking. There is no life guard - recommend those with small children be prepared to supervise and bring life jackets. Itís about Beaver Lake size (no power boats).
Please pass along this invitation to other interested parties, post on Facebook, etc., for those not on the elders group or who donít regularly check the website.
Let us know how many are attending so we can have enough food (email- firstname.lastname@example.org).
See you three weeks from Saturday.
Doug and Joy Wilson
- On Friday, 09-Jun-2017 22:20:49 EDT, Ethan said
- I'm in for a post-cardiac-event meal.
- On Tuesday, 30-May-2017 19:59:25 EDT, K2 said
- Add some sauce and call it goulash :)
- On Tuesday, 30-May-2017 11:30:36 EDT, Steve said
- Unstuffed peppers could be part of a meal called "Things to eat after your heart attack". It could be lunch on the service day and follow the "heart stupid breakfast".
- On Tuesday, 30-May-2017 11:27:29 EDT, Steve said
- So I guess I have to ask how hard it would be to make a vortex gun...
Might be cool to have a vortex-based obstacle course. Have to knock things over or move them with the gun. Sort of a vortex biathlon.
I also think we need to add unstuffed peppers to our menu. They'd probably be a good lunch and would, of course, be great for the roaster. It's ground turkey, green peppers, tomato sauce and rice. Instead of the usual horror show of stuffing the peppers and baking, you just chop them into big chunks and toss them in.
- On Friday, 26-May-2017 20:39:34 EDT, K2 said
- What if we built vortex cannons as an activity and used them as a contest. IE, vortex cannon bowling where you knock down something like styrofoam cups stacked up.
- On Wednesday, 03-May-2017 10:20:19 EDT, Ethan said
- I like the jackpot idea. Itís a unifying concept that would be easy to apply to meals and activities.
- On Wednesday, 03-May-2017 09:41:48 EDT, Ethan said
- I like Keithís mystery flavor idea.
- On Monday, 01-May-2017 23:39:03 EDT, Steve said
- Saw a post on Facebook today about scouts given $6 per person to come up with a good meal. Apparently they figured Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches would be the answer. Their ASM said it was fine as long as they made their own peanut butter, bread, and jelly.
I pointed out that they'd know how to make bead if they'd been to Winter Camp. Maybe we should have an all home-made meal by making our own peanut butter and jelly. I don't know how hard either of those things is.
- On Sunday, 23-Apr-2017 09:26:33 EDT, K2 said
- What if we had a "name that flavor" meal where the flavor of something, such as pancakes, isn't advertised. The diners need to identify it and points are awarded for correct guessing.
- On Thursday, 16-Mar-2017 08:21:46 EDT, Steve said
- Maybe we could do some of those chocolate coins in gold foil. Hide 'em somewhere at the beginning, maybe a clue or two each day until someone finds it.
- On Wednesday, 15-Mar-2017 18:18:24 EDT, K2 said
- Should we just seal the deal and hide a pot of gold somewhere in camp to be discovered?
- On Monday, 13-Mar-2017 21:33:53 EDT, Steve said
- What if our theme this year was "jackpot" like winning the jackpot or finding a big treasure? I'm sure we could create some activities that would work. We could also have more jackpot meals. Jackpot pizza, jackpot ice cream social, jackpot sandwiches, jackpot popcorn, jackpot waffles, jackpot chicken soup (we cook several pots of veggies, rice and noodles to add to the stock),
Could also call the whole weekette "Roll the dice" or even "Karma" since everything would be on the wheel (also a good excuse to watch Ethan's brother from another mother in Megaforce).
Maybe I need to get out more.
- On Sunday, 12-Mar-2017 20:55:43 EDT, Steve said
- Sorry. Didn't notice the phone "corrected" it. Diply.com
- On Sunday, 12-Mar-2017 08:56:20 EDT, K2 said
- Sounds good to me! We can do both videos and pictures. Inevitably some videos will change from "What to do" to "What not to do" which will increase the comedy value.
FYI, dimply.com went to a parked domain so I'm not sure where that was supposed to go?
- On Sunday, 12-Mar-2017 06:43:51 EDT, Steve said
- What if we shot our own series of cooking videos while at camp? Something fancy like dimply.com
- On Saturday, 11-Mar-2017 21:04:38 EST, Steve said
- okay, so apart from me, how much interest would there be in creating a healthier track for food at Winter Camp? I don't mean to make everyone eat a healthier diet because most of our youth probably don't need it.
Some meals probably don't need healthier choices (or can't support them) but what if we had healthier continental breakfast options or perhaps healthier choices for those interested.
- On Friday, 10-Mar-2017 06:40:03 EST, K2 said
- Sounds like you've hit the jackpot!
- On Tuesday, 07-Mar-2017 10:22:51 EST, Steve said
- So I'm watching the news on tv (I don't get out much these days) and they have a guy on who makes pancakes. He shows a variety of toppings to either add or use on pancakes.
Makes me think of jackpot grits and then I wondered about jackpot pancakes and maybe jackpot eggs.
What if we had a week of jackpot breakfasts?
- On Sunday, 05-Feb-2017 13:22:38 EST, Alan said
- It comes from "email@example.com" I actually thought about something like that, and started to set up a google group (groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/traditionallyunconventional) thinking that I might use that to send the emails, but that's as far as I got. At least I got the username though.
- On Sunday, 05-Feb-2017 13:04:43 EST, Steve said
- That's a cool feature. What email address does it send from? I think if that address was subscribed to a yahoo group, we could use your tool to notify anyone in the group.
- On Friday, 03-Feb-2017 18:17:01 EST, K2 said
- On Friday, 03-Feb-2017 01:48:26 EST, Alan said
- Communication thing: A couple weeks ago I wrote a script to check here a couple times per day. If anything has changed since last time, it sends me an email with what changed. I just upgraded it to support a short mailing list of ~100 email addresses. You can add yourself on this form I made at alnwlsn.ax.lt/wintercamp/notifier (the password is "blindhike" also it doesn't send you an email right away when you add yourself) It's a bit of a hack but one that's been useful for me so far, it caught my dad's post and everything since then. Of course that doesn't cover Facebook / Twitter but maybe that's a future addition.
- On Tuesday, 31-Jan-2017 06:07:53 EST, K2 said
- I like cookies!
New theme suggestion: Martha Stewart - Baking with a slice of insider training!
- On Saturday, 28-Jan-2017 19:53:21 EST, Steve said
- Good Housekeeping has a list of the best cookie from each state. Maybe it's something we could consider for Winter Camp, probably as a multi-year project. Like if we did a cookie a day starting this year, we could do all 50 by 50.
- On Friday, 27-Jan-2017 20:28:58 EST, Steve said
- Kristie and I will be there.
- On Tuesday, 24-Jan-2017 11:01:46 EST, K2 said
- Currently planning to attend with the whole crew (5)
- On Monday, 23-Jan-2017 09:11:36 EST, Ethan Rein said
- I'll be there with Louis and probably Rochelle!
- On Sunday, 22-Jan-2017 22:31:39 EST, Doug said
- Save the date. El Mediodia party at the Wilson's in Saline on Saturday, July 8th, 2PM till ???.
All Winter campers and their families past and present welcome. Intending to have a cookout and will provide burgers (Ah!), etc. and soft drinks. Plan to bring a dish to pass.
Join us to celebrate Winter Camp 41 being closer than WC 40 with an afternoon/evening of fellowship and fun. We have lake access, a short walk away, for available for swimming/kayaking which should be ice free by then.
Please feel free to pass along to interested parties who (like me) may not visit this site on a regular basis.
More details later,
Doug and Joy Wilson
- On Saturday, 14-Jan-2017 23:30:29 EST, Steve said
- New Theme Suggestion: Throwback.
We re-enact popular activities from Winter Camp I, XI, XXI, and XXXI. We know we're due for a perimeter hike (based on the every 20 years rule). What if we also pulled in a few other of those ancient classic activities
One important rule: No adults can spend any money on supplementary programs for Winter Camp. If we want to do it, we have to figure out how to do it on the cheap.
- On Saturday, 14-Jan-2017 17:56:52 EST, Steve said
- It's an interesting idea. I guess we could sell it at the current year's price which would be my bitg concern.
What additional benefits would we offer? Like would we do a mailing or mailing list? If it happened, why wouldn't we let anyone sign up?
- On Friday, 13-Jan-2017 14:45:25 EST, K2 said
- Wondering what thoughts would be around having a pre-registration campaign where someone can pre-register for wintercamp anytime during the year. Basically a way to stay up to date on upcoming meetings, gets people planning ahead as well.
- On Friday, 13-Jan-2017 14:43:19 EST, K2 said
- So we had 7 people, including myself, visit the site. I think we have an opportunity to improve on getting more traffic to the site and more communication.
I'll pay out the cups of coffee at the next wintercamp!
- On Friday, 13-Jan-2017 01:44:46 EST, Steve said
- Does anyone have any bills for Winter Camp? I'm trying to close out the finances.
- On Sunday, 08-Jan-2017 00:01:51 EST, Tim said
- Free coffee sign me up lol bananas
- On Friday, 06-Jan-2017 09:56:39 EST, Ethan A Rein said
- How fitting that the 7th point of the Scout Law was the prompt for this response. Did you hear the one about the scout and the banana?
I'd be happy to work contribute to and mail out promotional post cards to chapter members and a "Thanks for registering" information packet to be sent to all registrants.
- On Friday, 06-Jan-2017 10:16:00 EST, Jeff said
- Banana milk coffee is coffee that has been lightened (and naturally sweetened) with banana milk. And banana milk is just milk that has been blended with a banana (and sometimes an additional sweetener like maple syrup) until smooth.
- On Thursday, 05-Jan-2017 21:05:44 EST, Gabe said
- I'd go Banana s over some free coffee.
- On Thursday, 05-Jan-2017 18:26:16 EST, Mark--> said
- I am not a coffee drinker, so your incentive is meaningless to me. That said: banana.
- On Thursday, 05-Jan-2017 17:51:07 EST, Steve said
- You'd have to be bananas to think a free cup of coffee would entice very many winter campers to respond.
- On Thursday, 05-Jan-2017 14:35:32 EST, K2 said
- I think one key thing we need to focus on this year is communication. We need to over communicate. We need to be that annoying parent who you know what they're going to say before they walk into the room type of over communicator.
Email campaigns. Text messages. Twitter. Facebook. Chapter Meetings. Maybe even some good old fashioned snail mail. Everyone likes getting mail.
There are only a hand full of people who actually check this site. To prove my point, post a reply when you see this message. I'll buy a cup of coffee for every person who replies in less than 7 days to this message. To qualify, your post must contain the word: Banana.
- On Wednesday, 04-Jan-2017 13:04:28 EST, Ethan A Rein said
- I like this leadership team! Sign me up as the participation award adviser. I'll bring at least one extra tent, worksheets, and a bunch of ideas for goals and leadership opportunities.
- On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2017 19:56:53 EST, Jeff said
- I have a bunch and would like to get Mark's photos of the participants at the 40th.
- On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2017 15:08:20 EST, K2 said
- I'll set a reminder to zip them up tonight and share them with you.
- On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2017 01:33:40 EST, Steve said
- I'm looking for pictures from Winter Camp XL.
- On Sunday, 01-Jan-2017 14:11:36 EST, Mark--> said
- Yes. Yes, it is.
- On Sunday, 01-Jan-2017 14:03:48 EST, Steve said
- Is this thing on?
The design and content of this page Copyright (C) 1997-2001 by Steve Donohue for the Winter Camp Future Society
If you believe we are using copyrighted material, please contact the webmaster
All rights reserved